Club History

By the middle of the 6th century the Saxes and Angles had resumed their advance against the Britons and eventually controlled much of the country as far north as the Pennines and Northumbria.

They were great farmers and wherever they settled they battled shoulder to shoulder against nature.These primitive farmers lived in their little isolated “tuns” “hams” or “pleads” that had been cleared from the forest.


Such holdings consisited of long unfenced strips, sown one year with seed and next lying fallow.Below lay the common pasture where they kept cattle and in the forest they gathered fuel and hunted wolf,elk, fox and wild boar.
New “tuns” “hams” or “steads” were distinguished from the older ones by prefixes like “upper” “lower” east or west or suffixes like “end” “bottom” “ley” or “hurst”

Extracted from ”

The Story Of England” by Arthur Bryant.

TUNSHILL GOLF CLUB

A SHORT HISTORY

1901/2012

BOOKLETS AVAILABLE FROM BEHIND THE BAR

ONLY £3.00

scan0004